Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Working on Scarlet Witch's Vest

DragonCon Countdown: Day 45!!

Since I have this week off work, I've been working mostly on my costumes for DragonCon. The biggest project for me is sewing the costume for Scarlet Witch.

Lately I haven't had much luck with sewing patterns fitting me properly, so instead for her vest, I decided to purchase one that fit me, take it apart and make a make a pattern off of that. This is the vest I found at Goodwill, it had a similar neckline to the photos. 

I separated the front from the lining and made patterns from the three pieces, lengthening the front piece to match hers.

I decided early on that there was no way I was going to re-tie the bodice every time I put it on, so instead, I added a zipper at the back. 


Once I got it fitting me nearly perfectly, I added the eyelets for the front lacing. Isaac spray painted the very yellow gold eyelets a bit black (I am horrible at spray paint, I always overdo it). I then spent most of the evening cutting out holes and hammering the eyelets into place. 



This is the progress I've made so far! Next I need to work on finishing the hem of the vest, adding the boning, and threading the eyelets.